For all these occasions you’ve gazed longingly on the sticky, crimson red Char Siu striking from hooks within the window of Chinese fish fry meat shops…… Chinese Barbecue Pork is finger licking’ nice and also you may be surprised how primary is it to make it at home!
Cut beef in half horizontally to make NULL long, flat, thin items (better flavour penetration).
Place the beef and Marinade in a stain evidence container or ziplock bag. Marinate 24 to 48 hours within the fridge (3 hours is the naked minimum).
Preheat oven to 160C/320F.
Line a tray with foil and location a rack on upper (recommended but now not critical).
Remove beef from the marinade, save Marinade. Place beef on rack.
Roast for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, pour reserved marinade in a saucepan. Mix Extra Honey into marinade. Bring to simmer over medium excessive and prepare dinner for 2 minutes till syrupy. Remove from heat.
Remove beef from oven. Dab marinade all over, then turn. Baste then roast for yet another 30 minutes.
Remove beef from oven. Brush with marinade again, then turn, brush with marinade and roast for yet another 20 minutes. If charring too quickly, disguise with foil.
Baste back on floor then bake for yet another 10 minutes till caramelised and sticky. Meat have to be mushy but now not falling apart, like with pulled pork. Allow to relaxation for 10 minutes earlier than slicing.
Serve with rice and steamed Chinese greens. See notes for additional uses!
1. The pale soy sauce provides a contact additional salt to the marinade, the steadiness I like. But it is wonderful to make use of all pale soy sauce or all regular soy sauce. Do now not use darkish soy sauce (flavour is simply too intense).
2. You can get Chinese five spice powder (a blend of spices) within the herb and spice part of supermarkets and it is now not any additional pricey than different spices. You can change the Chinese five spice powder with 1 tbsp additional hoisin sauce BUT you have to cut back the sugar to at least one tsp, otherwise it'll be too sweet.
3. Or different impartial flavoured oil.
4. The red meals colouring is to make the beef red, such as you get on the Chinese fish fry shop. This is optional. Authentic Char Siu makes use of red bean curd for colouring and a contact of flavour - it may be discovered at Asian stores, use about 2 tbsp of the liquid and no red meals colouring.
I use the marinade on this recipe additional generally than the authentic model simply due to the fact I can get all of the meals on the supermarket and it has a barely additional extreme flavour - makes up for absence of charcoal on this residence version.
5. I used to make this with beef tenderloin (Note 6) but I've moved to scotch fillet roast (pictured in post) and beef shoulder simply due to the fact they're superb for longer cooking to get superb caramelisation and the beef is really juicy inside. Scotch fillet can also be identified as Pork Neck, Pork Collar or Pork Neck Collar. This is what Chinese BBQ outlets in Australia use.
Pork shoulder can also be superb - fantastically juicy. If utilizing beef shoulder, utilizing boneless, skinless and trim off most of the thick layer of fats on the surface. Then cut into lengthy thin pieces, like pictured in publish with the scotch fillet.
You desire thin slices about 2.5cm/1" thick to get the greatest flavour penetration from the marinade.
Some of us also make this utilizing beef stomach but I discover that too oily for my style for this specific recipe.
6. PORK TENDERLOIN cooking directions (photo right the following of the method it looks): Roast at 180C/350F for 25 minutes or till the within temperature is 145 - 160F/ 65 - 70C. Around midway by potential of roasting, baste generously with the reserved Marinade. Sort of dab it on so that you get as rather plenty Marinade on the beef as potential - here is essential for getting the thick, modern glaze. Then flick to broiler/grill on excessive and broil for a couple of minutes till floor is charred and glossy, basting as soon as or twice.
7. Leftovers – I preserve to devour it for days, but in addition freeze excess. Char Siu can also be utilized in Singapore Noodles, Chinese Fried Rice (also see Egg Fried Rice) and can also be terrific served on Chinese Noodle Soup.
8. Nutrition per serving assuming 6 servings. This is overstated as it does now not think about the fats that's rendered out when cooking.
Made with a primary yet flavour loaded Char Siu sauce, beef is marinated to infuse with flavour then roasted till caramelised. Baste your Chinese BBQ Pork generally for greatest results!
Overhead photograph of Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork) sliced on a white chopping board.
Char Siu – Chinese BBQ Pork
No journey to Chinatown right the following in Sydney is whole with out taking residence a container of Chinese BBQ pork. And I am yet to take care of the pressure all of the method residence with out sneaking in a bit style experiment (or two…or three).
The rattling visitors lights! If they had been GREEN all of the method home, then I wouldn’t have a danger to do that!
OK, that’s a blatant lie. Where there’s a will, there’s a way, and we equally recognise I might be hooning over the Harbour Bridge, preserving the steerage wheel with one hand and rummaging round within the plastic hold bag with the other, blindly making an attempt to really sense my solution to the fish fry beef container.
Close up of Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork) slices.
An Authentic Char Siu recipe
I first tried Char Siu Pork at residence possibly 10 years ago and the recipe I use has advanced over the years. Little tweaks to make it as near as I can to my favorite Chinese fish fry retailer with out having to make a trek to the Asian retailer to seek out difficult to discover ingredients.
I am now not precisely certain the position I sourced the unique recipe from – doubtless Gourmet Traveller magazine.
The actual deal Chinese fish fry beef is cooked over charcoals, with the beef striking on hooks. But for us regular folks, you possibly can nonetheless make Chinese fish fry beef at residence that tastes simply like retailer bought, it simply has so much less smokey flavour.
Preparation steps for methods to make How to make Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork)
Preparation steps for methods to make How to make Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork)
Best beef for Char Siu
I lastly managed to get a Chinese fish fry retailer to inform me what cut of meat they use. Pork scotch fillet!! Also identified as Pork Neck, Pork Collar or Pork Neck Collar.
It’s also terrific made with beef shoulder – I’d say simply as good. Some of us want to make it with beef stomach but I discover it too fatty for my taste.
I used to make use of beef tenderloin which is rather plenty leaner so that you do have got to be cautious about overcooking, while nonetheless achieving that caramelisation – prepare dinner occasions for this cut are within the recipe notes.
Scotch fillet and shoulder are rather plenty simpler to prepare dinner with – they require longer prepare dinner time to make the beef juicy which potential implausible caramelisation.
As in – THIS:
Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork) being held by tongs, recent out of the oven.
That sight makes me weak within the knees, each time.
How to serve Chinese BBQ Pork
As for methods to serve it, here’s a really established meal set served at Chinese BBQ shops: slices of beef over rice with a facet of steamed greens with sauce (this Steamed Chinese Greens with Oyster Sauce is similar).
Char Siu (Chinese Barbecue Pork) served on rice with a facet of steamed Chinese greens.
This recipe makes fairly rather plenty as the basic dimension of beef scotch fillet roasts is round 1.2 – 1.5kg/2.4-3lb.
But you’ll thank me. Just one bite, and you’ll be thanking me profusely for making this a big-batch recipe.
Save some Char Siu for….
Chinese Steamed Pork Buns – large fluffy white buns stuffed with BBQ pork
Singapore Noodles, Chinese Fried Rice
Fried Rice – Char Siu is typically in “special fried rice” in location of Chinese sausage or bacon
Chinese Noodle Soup – slices of Char Siu is typically served on upper of noodle soups
Banh Mi ! (Vietnamese sandwich) – it’s AMAZING!!
Don’t miss these different iconic Chinese recipes!
Crispy Chinese Pork Belly – the different Chinese BBQ Meat Shop favourite!
Char Siu Chicken – the fowl model of Char Siu Pork
Potstickers – steamed dumplings with crispy golden undersides
Spring Rolls – higher than Egg Rolls!
Fried Rice – Chinese takeout basic (no false promises)
Browse all Chinese Recipes and Asian Takeout copycat recipes
Char Siu - Chinese Barbecue Pork
Recipe video above. Your favorite Chinese fish fry beef made at home! Slow cooked so it is juicy on the within with most likely some of the foremost implausible sticky glaze, here is finger licking' good! Chicken model here.