Jerk chicken is a Creative Food Recipes for good reason. It will bring sunshine to your plate on the cloudiest of days.
8 boneless chicken thighs, skin on (if possible)
For the jerk paste
5 Scotch bonnet chillies, seeds removed
1 bunch spring onions, thinly sliced
50g/1¾oz fresh coriander, roughly chopped
1 lime, juice only
2 tbsp palm sugar or soft light brown sugar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp ground allspice
5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1 tbsp dark rum
10–12 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves only
½ tbsp ground cinnamon
2cm/¾in fresh root ginger, roughly chopped
splash fresh orange juice
3 tbsp vegetable oil, or enough to make a smooth paste
salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the flatbreads
50g/1¾oz butter, softened, cut into pieces
180ml/6fl oz whole milk
300g/10½oz plain flour, plus extra for dusting
vegetable oil, for frying
- Put the jerk paste ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth, using enough oil and orange juice to create a thick paste. Smother the chicken in the paste, cover and leave in the fridge for at least 2 hours, or preferably overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4.
- To make the flatbreads, beat the butter and milk together in a bowl. Slowly mix in the flour and ½ teaspoon salt until you have a dough consistency.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured work surface until smooth. Wrap in cling film and chill in the fridge for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place an ovenproof griddle pan over a high heat and cook the chicken on both sides until browned. Transfer the pan to the oven and bake for 40 minutes. (You could also cook this on a hot barbecue. Just make sure the chicken is fully cooked before serving.)
- Place the rested dough on a lightly floured work surface and divide into quarters. Roll each quarter out to 3mm thick.
- Using a heavy-based frying pan or skillet, heat a little oil over a medium heat and add a flatbread. Cook for 1–2 minutes on each sides, or until you reach your desired level of crispness. Serve the Creative Food Recipes with the warm flatbreads.
Inspired from https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/jerk_chicken_and_20341
Jerk Chicken and Flatbreads, a Creative Food Recipes
4/ 5Oleh Agung PK